We welcome your business to the City of Santa Clara!
All businesses are required to have a valid business license from the City of Santa Clara in order to transact business or occupy space in the City. Businesses located outside of the City but conducting business activity within city limits are also required to have a Santa Clara business license.
- To apply for a business license, please complete the Business License Application (New Business Tax Affidavit form). You can mail or bring it to the address noted on the application.
- For rentals of three (3) or more units, a Rental Unit License Application (Affidavit) is required.
- For hotels and other lodging establishments, more information can be found on our Transient Occupancy/Community Facilities District Tax page.
Conducting Business & Approval
- A business license will be mailed to the applicant once all fees have been paid and the business license application has been approved by all appropriate City departments.
- Approval of a business license application may take up to eight weeks.
- Businesses will be able to legally conduct business once the license has been approved.
- For information on the City's Minimum Wage increase that effective January 1, 2018, visit the Minimum Wage Ordinance Page.
Business License Renewal
Each business is responsible for renewing their annual business license before its expiration date. If you have received a Renewal Notice, you may have the option to Renew Online.
- New Business Licenses
- Cancellation of Business Tax Certificate (PDF)
- Active Business Licenses Search
For more information, see our FAQS, and select "Business Tax" from the drop down menu
Please contact us at:
Municipal Services, Business Tax & License
1500 Warburton Ave., Santa Clara, CA