Telephone: (408) 615-2210 Fax: (408) 241-6771
The Stadium Authority of the City of Santa Clara generally meets two Tuesdays per month, as part of the 7 p.m. City Council, Sports & Open Space Authority, and Housing Authority concurrent meetings, in Council Chambers at City Hall, 1500 Warburton Avenue.
The City Council and Santa Clara Redevelopment Agency (RDA) adopted Resolutions No. 11-7825 and No. 11-6 respectively at their February 22, 2011 meetings to approve a Joint Exercise of Powers Agreement (JPA) establishing the Santa Clara Stadium Authority.
Resolution 11-7862 of the City established the Bayshore North Project Enhancement Authority on June 28, 2011, a public entity that is part of the Stadium Authority JPA. The Santa Clara RDA was subsequently dissolved by State action when RDAs were dissolved statewide on February 1, 2012.
Members of the Stadium Authority are the City of Santa Clara. The seven elected members of the City Council serve as the governing board for the Authority. The Mayor serves as chair of the Authority, with the City Manager as the Executive Director and the City Attorney as the Authority’s General Counsel. Authority Members and Officers are as follows:
Lisa M. Gillmor, Chairperson
Dominic J. Caserta
Interim Executive Director, Rajeev Batra
Interim Stadium Authority Counsel, Brian Doyle
Secretary, Rod Diridon, Jr.
Acting Finance Director/Treasurer/Auditor, Angela Kraetsch
Examples of anticipated Stadium Authority functions include:
- Leasing the land for the stadium from the City pursuant to a long-term ground lease;
- Owning the stadium;
- Contract with design and engineering professionals to design the stadium;
- Entering into financing contracts including potentially issuing bonds for the financing of the Stadium
- Sale of stadium builder licenses and naming rights to the Stadium
- Contracting with a construction contractor to construct the stadium;
- Leasing the stadium to a private tenant, under a long-term contract, for use for professional football games;
- Managing day-to-day stadium operations and the surrounding areas for football games and other stadium events, including maintenance, security, traffic control and parking.
- Obtaining insurance against hazards such as fires, floods or earthquakes and also insure against tort claims such as injuries to event attendees.