Related Santa Clara
- Address:5155 Stars & Stripes Drive
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Lot size: 240 acres
Project Description: Construction of a new multi-phased, mixed-use development of up to 9.16 million gross square feet of office buildings, retail and entertainment facilities, residential units, hotel rooms, surface and structured parking facilities, new open space and roads, landscaping and tree replacement, and new/upgraded/expanded infrastructure and utilities.
Process Description: To accommodate the planned high-intensity urban environment contemplated by the project, a formal application was submitted for public and City review that included a General Plan Amendment of the 240 acre project site from Parks/Open Space and Regional Commercial to Urban Center/Entertainment District; a rezone of the project site from Public, Quasi-Public, Park or Recreation (B) and Commercial Park (CP) to Planned Development-Master Planned Community (PD-MC); and a Master Community Plan (MCP) and Infrastructure Plan to implement the development. An Environmental Impact Report was prepared and circulated in accordance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) to analyze and inform the decision makers and public of the potential environmental impacts associated with project development. In addition, a Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program was prepared to identify the mitigation measures for implementation to reduce significant impacts to less than significant along with CEQA Findings and Statement of Overriding Considerations for project related significant impacts that with mitigation would not be reduced to less than significant and an Override of the Santa Clara County Airport Land Use Commission (ALUC) Land Use Plan for inconsistency with ALUC policy to locate the residential portion of the project within the 65 dB CNEL. The project included changes to Figure 2.3-1 Areas of Potential Development and General Plan Table 8.6-2 Proposed Development (Approved, Not Constructed and Pending Projects) in the General Plan to acknowledge the proposed development project and an amendment to the Climate Action Plan, which is an appendix to the General Plan, to set Transportation Demand Management goals for the new land use designation. A Development Agreement between the City and the Developer accompanied the project proposal to secure development rights, terms, and conditions. A Development and Disposition Agreement (DDA) and a Ground Lease were also prepared between the City as landowner and Related Santa Clara, LLC, as the Developer.
The project, including the associated applications described above, were reviewed and approved by the City Council at a public noticed meeting on June 28, 2016.
- Jeff Schwilk, Associate Planner (408-615-2450, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dolores Montenegro, Deputy City Manager (email@example.com)
Property Owner/Applicant: City of Santa Clara / Related Santa Clara, LLC
Permits Required: NPDES permit for stormwater discharge; approvals and permits related to closure of the All-Purpose Landfill; demolition and grading permits; and building permits.
- PLN2014-10554 (Master Community Plan)
- PLN2019-14186 (Development Area Plan Phase I, Parcel 5)
- PLN2019-14249 (Development Area Plan Phase 2, Parcel 4 (portion)),
Potential Development Area:
- 209-acres of development
- 31-acre city park
Next Steps: Implementation of the project requires the preparation and submittal of Development Area Plans (DAPs) and Vesting Tentative and/or Tentative Maps to implement the project phases. The DAPs will be submitted in accordance with the provisions established in the PD-MC ordinance, with certain procedures superseded by specific procedures in the MCP. The Vesting Tentative and/or Tentative Maps will be submitted consistent with Chapter 17 – Subdivisions of the SCCC prior to development for City review and approval.
The Phase I Development Area Plan has been approved by City Council and will go through a second review process for architectural approval. The applicant will submit architectural materials for approval by the Director of Community Development. An electronic copy of the architectural materials submitted to the City will be posted to this page when available.
The Phase II Development Area Plan has been submitted and is tentatively scheduled for consideration before the Planning Commission and City Council in May and June, respectively.
Upcoming Public Hearings/Community Meetings:
- On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 6:00 p.m., the Planning Commission will consider the Phase 2 DAP Application. Notice of Public Hearing (PDF)
- On Tuesday, June 23, 2020, the City Council is scheduled to consider the Phase 2 DAP Application.
Public Hearings/Community Meetings Held:
- A City Council meeting was held on Tuesday, March 24, 2020, for the Phase 1 Development Area Plan, where the City Council Adopted the EIR Addendum for Phase 1 DAP, and Approved the Phase 1 DAP Application, subject to conditions.
- A Planning Commission meeting was held on Thursday, February 20, 2020, for the Phase 1 Development Area Plan.
- A Study Session was held at the Planning Commission meeting on January 29, 2020 to provide information on the Related development project entitlements and Development Area Plan review process.
- A community open house was hosted by the developer on January 15, 2020 to provide updated information on the current plans and schedule for the first two development phases: Developer Open House Presentation.
- In addition to Planning Commission and City Council noticed public hearings for review and action on the project applications in June 2016, a series of noticed public meetings, study sessions, and community meetings were conducted from March 2013 through June 2016.
All documents related to Environmental Review are available on the City's CEQA webpage:
Please use the links below to access documents related to this project. Please note some of these files are large and may take longer to load.
- DAP 2, Parcel 4 Development Plans
- DAP 1, Parcel 5 Development Plans
- Development Agreement
- Disposition and Development Agreement
- Developer Phase Option Notice for DAP 1
- Master Community Plan (Volume I)
- Master Community Plan (Volume II)
- City Council Meeting (6/16/2015) Staff Report: Link
- City Council Study Session (6/7/2016) Staff Report: Link
- Planning Commission Meeting (6/8/2016) Staff Presentation: Link
- City Council Meeting (6/28/2016) Staff Report: Link (12 MB)
- City Council Meeting (6/28/2016) Applicant Presentation: Link
- City Council Meeting (6/28/2016) Minutes: Link
- Planning Commission Meeting (2/20/2020) Staff Report: Link
- City Council Meeting (3/24/2020) Staff Presentation: Link
- City Council Meeting (3/24/2020) Staff Report: Link