Pool Safety Tips for Memorial Day Weekend
A backyard pool can be a great source of family fun! It is important to combine safety measures to effectively reduce drowning risks around water.
- Install a self-locking pool fence and an alarm to alert you if someone enters the pool deck
- Keep children away from pool drains, pipes, covers and other openings to avoid entrapments
- Establish a feet first policy vs diving head first
- Never swim alone
- Accompany all guests, and keep children within arms reach
- Limit the number of inflatables in the pool so you can see the swimmers
- Whomever is responsible for watching children should not drink alcohol
- Be prepared - have rescue and first aid equipment nearby as well as a phone nearby in the unlikely event of an emergency
Memorial Day weekend marks the start of summer. While many public pools are not yet open due to COVID-19, many local families have home swimming pools. Please pay careful attention around the pool.
This message is from the Santa Clara Police Department.