We welcome your business to the City of Santa Clara!
All businesses are required to have a valid business license from the City of Santa Clara in order to transact business or occupy space in the City. Businesses located outside of the City but conducting business activity within city limits are also required to have a Santa Clara business license.
- To apply for a business license, please complete the Business License Application (New Business Tax Affidavit form). You can mail or bring it to the address noted on the application.
- Effective January 1, 2020, business applicants/renewals are required to comply with Senate Bill (SB) 205 Stormwater Discharge Compliance. For more information visit Stormwater Pollution Prevention.
- Effective January 1st, 2019, business applicants/renewals are required to comply with AB 3002. The new law, creating GC 4469.5, expands the information to be provided to the applicants. More information can be obtained by visiting the California Division of the State Architect website and reviewing AB 3002.
- Effective February 5th, 2019, the City of Santa Clara adopted a Smoking and Tobacco Regulation Ordinance. Landlords, Operators and Property Managers are under obligation to comply with the new requirements. Additional information can be found on the Smokefree Santa Clara page.
- For rentals of three (3) or more units, a Rental Unit License Application (Affidavit) is required.
- For hotels and other lodging establishments, more information can be found on our Transient Occupancy/Community Facilities District Tax page.
Conducting Business & Approval
- A business license will be mailed to the applicant once all fees have been paid and the business license application has been approved by all appropriate City departments.
- Approval of a business license application may take up to eight weeks.
- Businesses will be able to legally conduct business once the license has been approved.
- For information on the City's Minimum Wage increase that is effective January 1, 2020, visit the Minimum Wage Ordinance Page.
Business Tax Online Services
- Apply for a Business License
- Renew Annual Business License
- Close Business License
- Make a Business License Payment
- Update Business License Information
- Create an Online Account
Disability Access Requirements
Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. To learn more about disability access requirements, please review the AB 3002 notification:
- AB 3002 Model Notice English (PDF)
- AB 3002 Model Notice Spanish (PDF)
- AB 3002 Model Notice Tagalog (PDF)
- AB 3002 Model Notice Korean (PDF)
- AB 3002 Model Notice Vietnamese (PDF)
- AB 3002 Model Notice Traditional Chinese (PDF)
- AB 3002 Model Notice Simplified Chinese (PDF)
- New Business Licenses
- Cancellation of Business Tax Certificate (PDF)
- Active Business Licenses Search
For more information, see our FAQS, and select "Business Tax" from the drop down menu
Please contact us at:
Municipal Services, Business Tax & License
1500 Warburton Ave., Santa Clara, CA