Awards and Recognition Received By the City of Santa Clara
- 2020 Tree City USA Recognition and Growth Award
The City of Santa Clara was recognized as a “Tree City USA” for the 33rd time by the Arbor Day Foundation for its tree management and commitment to tree care.
For recognition of higher levels of tree care and environmental stewardship, the City received its 20th Growth Award highlighting our innovative programs and projects, as well as increased commitment of resources for urban forestry.
- Silicon Valley Power Wins NWPPA Safety Award
For the third consecutive year, Silicon Valley Power has won an award from the Northwest Public Power Association (NWPPA) for its outstanding achievement in workplace safety. The 2020 NWPPA Utility Safety Awards evaluated public power utilities based upon incident experience, utility size and total injury and illness rate of the previous year.
- San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara Metro Area is among the Top 10 Metros for Millennials Who Want to Relocate
- According to COMMERCIALCafé, the San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara Metro Area comes in at #10 as an attractive location for millennials who want to relocate. The metro areas were evaluated across seven indicators:
millennial population growth between 2014-2018, proportion of millennials in the overall population, regional price parity,
millennial unemployment rate, percentage of millennials in the labor force with a bachelor’s degree,
percentage of millennials with employer-based health insurance,
and commuting times.
The researchers defined the millennial cohort as the 25-29and 30-34 age groups, as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- SCPD Named #1 Fundraising Agency for the Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics
Thanks to tremendous community support, the Santa Clara Police Department was honored as the #1 Fundraising Police Department for the Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics Northern California. Members of the Santa Clara Police Department raised over $73,766 for Special Olympics in 2019. On Jan. 31, 2020 in Scotts Valley, the Police Department received the award from the Special Olympics Northern California at the annual kick-off conference for the Torch Run.