- Santa Clara Designated a Bicycle Friendly City
On Dec. 6, the City was designated as a Bronze Level Bicycle Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists (LAB). Bicycle Friendly Communities are recognized for four years and this is the third time that Santa Clara has been awarded this designation. The City was evaluated for its bicycling efforts in the areas of education, encouragement, evaluation, engineering and enforcement.
Other awards from 2018
- The City of Santa Clara won the Project of the Year Award from the American Public Works Association Silicon Valley for its Westside Retention Basin re-silting project that restored storage capacity.
- “Santa Clara Source” was showcased as a best practice at the California Association of Public Information Officers Annual Conference.
- The City of Santa Clara was honored as a “Tree City USA” by the National Arbor Day Foundation. It also received a “Tree City USA Growth Award” for its innovative programs.
- The Santa Clara Police Department received a Special Achievement Award from the Public Safety Communications Managers Association for partnering with the City of Sunnyvale and the California Highway Patrol to offer 9-1-1 text message service in the event of emergency.
- Silicon Valley Power, the City’s electric utility, received the Award of Continued Excellence from the American Public Power Association’s Demonstration of Energy & Efficiency Developments program.