COVID-19 Operations and Service Delivery Changes
City Hall is temporarily closed for all walk-in services effective March 17, 2020. Planning services, including providing public information (e.g., Zoning Code requirements for new development, information about pending applications for new projects, etc.) and the processing of Planning permit applications, including the submittal of new applications, will continue to be provided, as we can provide these services remotely.
For public information inquiries please contact us by phone or email:
- Planning Main Line: 408-615-2450
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fill out the application found on our Permit Application Process web page.
- Email your application to the Planning Division
- Once the application is received, fees will be calculated and invoiced to the applicant. An application will not be deemed submitted until payment is received.
The chief responsibilities of the Planning Division are to administer future land uses and policies and to review current development proposals for conformance with the City's adopted policies and ordinances. The Planning Division plays a key role in supporting economic development and ensuring opportunities for the public to participate in land development activity in Santa Clara. The Division continually strives to enhance the livability of Santa Clara by promoting a healthy, prosperous, and sustainable community.
The services and responsibilities of the Planning Division are framed by several government codes, regulations, statutes, and other procedural documents, including:
- California Government Code
- Public Resources Code
- The City Charter
- City of Santa Clara General Plan
- City of Santa Clara Zoning Ordinance
- Single-Family Residential Design Guidelines
Members of the Planning Division serve as staff to the following regular commissions and committees:
- Planning Commission
- Historical and Landmarks Commission
- Architectural Committee
- Downtown Revitalization Committee
- Neighborhood-University Relations Committee
Agendas and minutes of these commissions and committees are posted online, when available.
The Planning Division also provides assistance to local and regional airport, housing, technology, transportation, and related planning efforts of interest to the City. In addition, staff provide assistance to neighborhood groups, local businesses, and individual residences to foster a broader understanding of planning in the community.