The Director of Community Development, or designee, is the decision-making authority for Architectural Review applications in accordance with Zoning Code, Chapter 18.76.
The Architectural Review process was recently updated by Ordinance 2011 to establish a Development Review Hearing, which is a publicly noticed hearing required for certain types of projects and developments.
Projects not meeting any of the below criteria can typically be reviewed administratively at the Permit Center without a public hearing. Projects will be reviewed for consistency with zoning standards prior to submittal for Building Permits.
- New or expanded single-family homes resulting in:
- Five or more bedrooms; or
- Five or more bathrooms; or
- Two or more bedrooms with direct exterior access; or
- A new second story or the expansion of an existing second story.
- Residential parcel or subdivision maps and any associated development plans.
- New multi-family developments of any size.
- New freestanding non-residential development greater than 5,000 square feet in size.
- Modifications or additions to existing non-residential development, where the modification or addition is greater than 20,000 square feet in size.
- Demolition or alterations to properties on the City’s Historic Resources Inventory (HRI).
- Demolition of an existing structure, other than a non-habitable accessory structure.
- Any other project not listed above that the Director determines should be considered at a public hearing.
How to Apply for Architectural Review?
For the application, the following information will need to be verified:
- Zoning of the property
- Historic status
- Size of the lot and existing building square footage
- Consistency with the applicable design guidelines
All Development Review Hearing decisions are final, unless appealed in writing to the Planning Commission or City Council, as applicable, within seven calendar days.
Meeting Dates and Agendas
The meetings are generally conducted twice a month and are subject to public noticing requirements. The meetings usually occur on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. in the City Council Chambers. The Development Review Hearing meeting schedule can be found on the meeting calendar.2020 Development Review Hearing Schedule of Meetings
|CANCELED - Development Review Hearing||07/08/2020 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM|
|Development Review Hearing||07/29/2020 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM|
|Development Review Hearing||08/19/2020 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM|
|Development Review Hearing||09/16/2020 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM|
|Development Review Hearing||10/21/2020 6:00 PM - 10:03 PM|
|Development Review Hearing||11/04/2020 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM|
|Development Review Hearing||12/02/2020 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM|