- Set carts out before 7:00 am on your pick-up day with the lids closed, and return them to the rear or side yard by the evening of your collection day.
- List of materials accepted through your weekly curbside recycling
- To increase or decrease the size of your containers, call Municipal Utilities Customer Service at 408-615-2300.
Garbage or Clean Green Questions? Call Mission Trail Waste Systems at 408-727-5365
Recycling Questions? Call Recology South Bay at 408-970-5100
Extra garbage bag tags are available for purchase at $4.50 each. Each tag allows for an additional 32 gallon size bag of garbage to be collected when placed alongside the garbage cart. These bag tags have no expiration date and can be used any time throughout the year. There is no limit to how many extra bags can be placed at the curb as long as each bag is properly tagged and weighs no more than 30 pounds. Extra Garbage Bag Tags can be conveniently purchased at the following locations:
- Municipal Utility Payment Counter at City Hall - 1500 Warburton Avenue
- Central Park Library - 2635 Homestead Road
- Mission Branch Library – 1098 Lexington Street
- Northside Branch Library – 695 Moreland Way
The City of Santa Clara has an exclusive waste hauling franchise agreement with Mission Trail Waste Systems. They are the only contractor permitted to place and collect debris boxes throughout the City, except for those areas specifically zoned industrial. Debris bins can be ordered from Mission Trail Waste Systems through the City of Santa Clara Utility Customer Service by calling 408-615-2300
Household Hazardous Waste
For disposal of most HHW, make an appointment with the Santa Clara County Household Hazardous Waste Program. Call 408-299-7300 or visit www.hhw.org. There will be three Household Hazardous Waste drop-off events in Santa Clara in 2020:
- January 25, 2020
- April 25, 2020
- September 12, 2020
Seniors may contact Heart of the Valley at 408-241-1571 to request pick-up of HHW and pharmaceutical waste.
- Motor oil and oil filter curbside collection: Place motor oil in a plastic container labeled "waste oil". Tape the lid down with masking or duct tape. Place used oil filters in a leak-proof plastic bag. Place items by your recycling cart on your regular collection day. You may set out up to three 1-gallon containers of used motor oil per week.
- Dry cell battery curbside collection: Tape the positive terminals and place in a zip-lock bag on top of your garbage cart. Residents with front-load bin service may drop off batteries at any Santa Clara Fire Station seven days a week from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Fluorescent bulb curbside collection: Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL's) can be placed in a zip-lock bag next to your recycling cart on your regular collection day. Fluorescent tubes can be dropped off at any of these locations.
- Explosives and Ammunition: Call the Police Department at (408) 615-4700.
- E-waste: Find a local e-waste recycling center at http:///RecycleStuff.org.
- Paint: Find a drop off location at PaintCare.org
- Medicine: Expired and unwanted medicine disposal locations can be found at SCCMEDS.org.
Need to dispose of other materials not listed here? Visit RecycleStuff to find local recycling centers.
Santa Clara residents may take advantage of two FREE disposal drop-off events per year:
- January 26, 2020
- September 20, 2020
Free Rubbish Disposal appointments are available between 6am and 12pm. Call Mission Trail Waste Systems at 408-727-5365 to make an appointment and acquire a confirmation number. Appointments are released 2 weeks prior to each event. Current utility bill, personal identification and confirmation number required at time of drop-off.
Please note that you are responsible for unloading the items from your vehicle. Make sure to wear appropriate clothing and any desired protection accessories (e.g. masks, gloves, etc.).
Call Mission Trail Waste Systems at 408-727-5365 for drop-off location, load size limits, and accepted materials. Hazardous waste is prohibited.
Recology hosts two Environmental Days per year for Santa Clara residents. These events are designed to promote recycling, reuse and diversion of usable materials from the landfill.
- March 7, 2020 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at Recology, 1675 Rogers Ave., San Jose
- October 17, 2020 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.at Recology,1675 Rogers Ave., San Jose
Residents must provide a current collection bill and personal identification to verify eligibility. No appointment required. Questions? Contact Recology South Bay at 408-970-5100.
- Residential documents for confidential shredding (2-box limit)
- E-waste (computers, monitors, printers, etc.)
- Universal waste (batteries, cell phones, CFL's, and fluorescent tubes)
- Plastic play structures/toys fit to donate for reuse
- Clothing fit to donate for reuse
The City of Santa Clara hosts three Home Composting Workshops per year:
- February 15, 2020
- June 27, 2020
- September 5, 2020
Register through the Santa Clara County Master Composter's website or call 408-918-4640.
Garbage, Recycling, and Clean Green services will take place a day late after the following holidays, including Saturday service when the regular collection day is Friday:
- Thanksgiving Day (Thursday, 11/28/19)
- Christmas Day (Wednesday, 12/25/19)
- New Years Day (Wednesday, 1/1/20)
Extra Holiday Waste
Santa Clara residents with cart service may set out two 32-gallon garbage bags per week on their regular collection day from December 26, 2019 through January 7, 2020 at no extra charge. Multi-family dwellings with shared bin service may request one free service of each garbage bin per year by contacting MTWS at (408) 727-5365. Please recycle all non-metallic gift wrap, tissue paper, cards, boxes, and tags.
Holiday Tree Collection
Trees will be collected the week of January 6, 2020 - January 10, 2020. Please follow the set-out instructions:
- Strip the tree and set out on your regular collection day
- The City does not collect trees on private streets. Residents of multi-family dwellings may set out their trees on the nearest public street. Call (408) 615-3080 to find out what day we will be servicing your area
- If you miss your pick-up day, you can bring in your tree (no larger than 9 feet) to the Corp Yard located at 1700 Walsh Avenue between January 6-10
- After January 10, 2020 cut up your tree and place the pieces in the Clean Green cart. Flocked trees (trees with artificial snow) should be placed in the garbage cart