1500 Warburton Avenue, Santa Clara, CA 95050
Tel: (408) 615-2250 Fax: (408) 241-6771
Santa Clara City Council
- The City of Santa Clara was incorporated in 1852, adopted the City Charter in 1951 and operates as a Council/Manager form of government.
- The City Council, as the legislative body, represents the citizens of Santa Clara and is empowered by the City's Charter to formulate Citywide policy.
- All powers of the City are vested in the Council except those prohibited by the Constitution of the State of California and the provisions of the City Charter.
- Elected from the City at-large, the Mayor serves a four-year term.
- City Councilmembers are elected by districts.
- The City Charter limits the Mayor and all Councilmembers to serving two consecutive terms.
- The current compensation for the Mayor is $2,500/per month, and $2,000/month for Councilmembers (City Charter, Section 702).
Council Meeting Information
- Resident participation at Council meetings is encouraged.
- Meetings are generally held at least two times per month on Tuesdays at 6:00 P.M. at City Hall in the Council Chambers, 1500 Warburton Avenue.
- The schedule of City Council meetings is available online.
- Council meetings can be viewed on Santa Clara City Television (Comcast cable channel 15 or AT&T channel 99) and online on the City's website, the City's Youtube channel, or the City's Facebook page.
- The City’s “Behavioral Standards for Public Meetings” describes best practices for City meetings including: maintaining respectful behavior, encouraging robust discussion, and ensuring consistency and efficiency.
- A Phonic Ear "Easy Listener" system has been installed in the Council Chambers to assist people with hearing impairments.
Council Meeting Agendas
- Residents are encouraged to review upcoming agenda information and attend City Council meetings.
- Complete agenda packets with back-up reports for City Council meetings are available online, at City libraries or the City Clerk's Office beginning the Friday before the Tuesday meeting.
- A summary of Council actions is available on the Thursday following the Council meeting at the City Clerk's Office and online.